Thursday, August 31, 2006

Post Independance, Merdeka so what

Post-Merdeka...recalling our history as we Malaysians in school have read in our history textbooks, here's a bried crash course. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hari_Merdeka

I am working today because Singapore isn't celebrating this day. They celebrated theirs, 22 days ago. I think they should celebrate because its also the day this little island got liberated from the colonials. Then I can have two holidays ma....

Kenny Sia blogs about how un-malaysian we can get, makes me wonder, maybe colonialisation happens in a different way today. Looks at how BIG MNCs flourishing in our country, how MTV invade our lives, every corner we have McDonalds, KFC and my favorite Starbucks. McD is like a family restaurant here when in US, its somewhere similar to our roti prata shop. I have friends who wanna be black, some who wanna be white, and some just wannabees. Don't get me wrong that I am against western culture and i am not a fundamentalist. I just envy the japanese and koreans because of the fact they can asimilate their culture and the western culture making them unique and strong.

So, creating our own unique identity and culture , will be day we merdeka.

A hot fact I got to know from a friend ,

si ngapura
Malaya ---> Malay a ---> Malaysia. 1963 thats when we got our name. This fact somehow got truncated out from our textbooks. Machiavellians !!!

Anyways, i find that malaysians are pretty united overseas, but squabbles back home. Hence the saying , never wash dirty laundry outside ma...:)

No comments: