Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Economies of A Chinese Wedding (my humble views)

What happen when you decided to say I do as a Chinese in South East Asia ?

Mastercard should use this

1. Photo Shoot 5,000(est)
2. Wedding Gown 3,000(est)
3. Wedding Dinner 20,000(est)
4. Ang Pows 1000 (est)

Getting married to the love of your life, saying bye bye to bachelorhood...priceless.

(est) is because i haven't been through it yet. From what I heard, you usually have to eat economical rice for a few months after that.

Anyays, What happen during the last decade ? Weddings suddenly becoming an million dollar industry.Thanks to the Bachelorette, now its picking up in the US as well.

And wedding suppose to be a sacred ceremony between two people (male and female) that decided " ok people, we are off the singles market now, go find other people". There will be someone to ordain the event, and witnesses to make sure you don't back out in the later part of life ( there, I saw you get married, now don't you play play ).

Why can't it be a simple ceremony with friends and families..and then..off to the honeymoon.

Here is my conspiracy theory,in the mid 1987's , after asian economic crisis, people went bankrupt, out of job, spending less drives the chinese restaurant business , wedding parlors into despration.

So, one smarty chinese restaurant owner meet up with the wedding parlor owner for coffee and came up with a new idea. Why don't we have wedding packages ? We will psycho the girls, knowing each girl has a dream of a grand wedding. And then the girl will make their future loving spouse to pay for it. ITs perfect, win win situation. Hence today, all chinese restaurants have wedding package, all wedding boutiques (no more parlors..cheapskate name) have wedding package for all levels of income.

So, most chinese can't afford to lose face, will either keep up with the grandness or make it grandier.

I have heard people asking, "when you are getting married?". the person answer " I am saving up for it."

Now they even rope in the videographers and the flash programmers. Whats next ya?

I would have a circus act in mine. hahaha..

Coming in my next few posts...my humble views to the economies of

1. Having Children
2. Divorce

3 comments:

Michelle said...

A simple wedding ceremony is nice but the truth is, almost every girl dreams of a fancy wedding...
I used to want to have wedding banquets and stuff, but after what I've been through, I've learnt that finding that special someone who shares your interest, shares your believes, is so darn difficult. So, I don't mind anything anymore.

If I ever found that special someone, a signature on the paper and off we go to honeymoon is good enough~

But I guess you just have to accept the fact that normal girls do want a nice, beautiful wedding.

Beer Brat said...

I am not too sure if ur gf will let you off so easily. Definitely not her mom.

SoupLad said...

so Michelle u like fancy wedding..

hmm.... i already thinking of your "sisters" in bikinis liao....hehe

Siang, I believe in your sweet talking and your diplomatic negotiation skills...actually i am more concern on the angpao..

if u are going to have wedding dinner, then my pocket will pit chiah again.... muahahaha